Asad joined GLA & Company in February of 2022 as a Senior Associate in the Corporate Commercial Department. Asad is known as a relentless advocate on behalf of his clients. He has been involved in a number of transactional and advisory works in various industries including logistics, construction, finance, health care, and education. Asad’s scope of practice has involved comprehensive representation with respect to mergers and acquisitions, conducting extensive due diligence exercises in relation to complex transactions, as well as distribution and agency arrangements. Asad has extensive background in advising on marketing of securities, corporate governance issues, policies, and regulatory compliance. Due to the increased need, Asad has expanded his expertise in advising on the framework of data protection and regulation.
Before joining GLA & Company, Asad practiced as a corporate commercial attorney at Al Tamimi & Company in Kuwait and prior to that as a corporate attorney in the United States. Asad’s previous experience includes: Negotiating Asset Purchase Agreements and related disclosure schedules, intellectual property agreements, professional online marketing services agreements, confidentiality agreements, non-competition non-solicitation agreements, ad advising clients on service mark and trademark availability, registrability, and design, Asad also has experience in commercial litigation, which includes drafting complaints, deposition preparation, and commercial defense work of handling all interrogatories and requests for production.
Asad has a healthcare background as a practicing registered respiratory therapist for over 10 years. He was the youngest graduate of his program and president of his class. Asad also has some experience as healthcare fraud defense attorney successfully representing physicians and healthcare entities against claims of fraud.
- The University of Akron School of Law – Akron, Ohio, USA, Juris Doctor (2015)
- Bowling Green State University – Bowling Green, Ohio, USA, Bachelor’s in Applied Sciences and Specialty in Department Management (2010)
- (US) State of Ohio Bar
- (US) State of Ohio Medical Board – Respiratory Care
- Represented DSV Panalpina in its acquisition of the logistics division of Agility Public Warehousing Company as MENA counsel in an all-share deal worth US$ 4.1 billion, the largest merger & acquisition transaction in the MENA region in 2021;
- Acted as Kuwait Counsel for IBM, in its global business model restructuring of its hardware, software, and services;
- Represented Marriot Drilling, the largest onshore deep drilling and associated services company, in its agreement to provide drilling services on various oil and gas wells within the State of Kuwait;
- Represented Beghelli Präzisa GmbH, a leading developer, manufacture, and distributer of emergency lighting in the world, in its distribution arrangement;
- Represent DHL, a global logistics service provider, as Kuwait council in its agency and distribution arrangements;
- Represented Ulysse Nardin, a world leading luxury watch brand, in its business operations in the State of Kuwait, including proper termination of an agency arrangement and establishment of an favorable distribution arrangement; and
- Represented Trafalgar General Trading Company, a Kuwait-based retailer of luxury fashion products including (Chopard, Dior, Gucci, Aigner, TAG, Heuer, Versace, Escada, Swarovski, Burberry, Montegrappa), in its collaboration with Tiffany & Co in the State of Kuwait.
Banking & Finance (Conventional & Sharia-Compliant)
- Appointed as transaction co-counsel with respect to a US$ 180,000,000 financing from Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank to Kuwait Finance House;
- Appointed as transaction co-counsel with respect to a US$ 75,000,000 financing from Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank to Warba Bank
- Advised Kitopi, world’s leading managed cloud kitchen, with respect to its business structure in the state of Kuwait and its internal employment policies;
- Represented the University for the Creative Arts, the top creative specialist university in the UK, in its collaboration to create and establish an undergraduate/postgraduate foreign co-operative university in the State of Kuwait;
- Represented Santen SA, one of the world leaders in the ophthalmic pharmaceutical market, in its distribution arrangements in the state of Kuwait and Qatar;
- Currently advising AbbVie Biopharmaceuticals, a world leading biopharmaceutical company, with respect to its overall business arrangement and operations in the state of Kuwait;
- Advise National Advisory Services Company WLL, with respect to its joint venture collaboration in relation to the Norther and Southern Kuwait Excavation, Transportation and Remediation projects.
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- Tamimi.com – Law Update Articles : Commissions Disclosure Requirement – Foreign Companies Beware;
- Chambers Global Practice Guides Merger Control – Contributor and author of the Kuwait, UAE, KSA and Qatar chapters.